Purpose: The Leadership
Council shall provide for
planning and implementing a program of nurture, outreach, witness, and
resources in the local church to fulfill the Mission and Vision Statements
of the church.
shall envision, plan, implement, and annually evaluate the mission, vision, and
ministry of the church.
The leadership council shall be amenable to and function as the administrative agency of
the charge conference.
The council functions as the decision making body for the church for each area of ministry. Teams are assembled and equipped, as needed, to carry out the various missions and tasks set forth by the council.
of the council shall be involved in the mission and ministry of the congregation.
Mission and Ministry: Nurture, outreach, and witness
ministries and their accompanying responsibilities include…
- The nurturing ministries of the congregation shall give
attention to but not be limited to education, worship, Christian formation,
membership care, small groups, and stewardship.
- The outreach ministries of the church shall give attention to
local and larger community ministries of compassion, justice, and advocacy.
- The witness ministries of the church shall give attention to
developing and strengthening evangelistic efforts of sharing of personal and
congregational stories of Christian experience, faith, and service, and other
means that give expressions of witness for Jesus Christ.
- The leadership development and resourcing ministries shall give
attention to the ongoing preparation and development of lay and clergy leaders
for the ministry of the church (¶ 258.1).
- The nurture, outreach, and witness ministries and their
accompanying responsibilities shall include consideration of any means appropriate
to encourage individual and corporate prayer, and intentional prayer for the
It will also be the responsibility of the council to:
- review the membership of the local church;
- fill interim vacancies occurring among the lay officers of the
- establish the budget on recommendation of the committee on
finance and ensure adequate provision for the financial needs of the church;
- recommend to the charge conference the salary and other
remuneration of the pastor(s) and staff members after receiving recommendations
from the SPRC;
- review the recommendation of the SPRC regarding provision of
adequate housing for the pastor(s). Housing
provisions shall comply with the annual conference housing policy and parsonage